Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dart - updates and some other observed behaviors

Dart is a bed hog! but there are 2 humans, a cat, and a dog - so perhaps he's not the only culprit. Last night was the first night he slept on the bed with us. He will definitely keep you warm at night. He stayed the whole night and (this part really makes me happy) didn't get up with Ryan at 6:30 wanting a walk so I got to sleep until my normal 8:00.

He doesn't indicate when he wants to go out, so it's up to us to let him out a lot, otherwise he'll poop inside. Luckily we've figured out his timeline. He can hold his bladder for quite a long time. He usually needs to poop within an hour of eating. He hasn't peed or pooped on a walk yet, he'll wait until we get home. So I keep our morning walks short, since he wants to eat right when we get up. That way he doesn't have to hold his bowels for a long time. Evening walks are longer since they're either before dinner or a few hours after.

On walks he doesn't mark trees. In fact I've only seen him mark at my parents house. They have a hermaphrodite pug who had fully developed female parts and partial male parts. She has marked in the past but it's rare.

He is still apprehensive around other dogs at first, but warms up after a bit. This also happens around Ryan, he needs a moment to adjust to him when he gets home. He is also still jumpy at just about every sudden movement, but not sounds anymore. The progress with sounds makes me hopeful that the movement skittishness will subside.

With regards to food. He gets super excited about mealtime. He doesn't rush me though, he waits to chow down until I set down his bowl. He eats 90% of his food right away, and then goes back for the other 10% as needed.

I'll keep updating with any progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment